The Four Word Film Review Fourum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Return to homepage
Join fwfr View the top reviews Frequently Asked Questions Click for advanced search
 All Forums
 FWFR Related
 General
 10th Anniversary!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  08:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sa10pian

quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

Double clicking on a review that isn't yours will vote for it.

No, no, please no! It's already too easy to accidentally vote for a review. With things like the iPhone this would be a disaster. At the very least please let us opt out of this in our settings.

Well, for one thing I'd hope to do a different version of the site more directed towards the iphone. I'll think about other options, but I have to say I thought the double click worked pretty well- at least it's not a single click.

Further thought: You know, I've been an iphone user myself for a while now, and I'm not even sure you *can* double click on a website on an iphone. Will have to investigate further.

After lots of iPhone clicking: yeah, the double click on an iPhone has a special, reserved purpose- to zoom in or out the page. Basically, you won't be able to vote at all at present. Not sure if that's better or worse, mind.
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

United Kingdom

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  10:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by WhIOpersnapper

I'm still not convinced the same or similar review can't be used on more than one film. What did anyone else think on this?

I don't think napper means that reviews would get auto-rejected on that basis, but that there would be a quick way of checking for people too lazy to use Google. It could just come up with a warning "This review has been used for X -- do you still want to submit it?" It would need to just be reviews that have been approved or are pending for other films, as one could be rightly rejected for one film and approved for another. At the moment, people submit duplicates all the time because they 'don't know' (even though they have voted on the originals) and then once they're approved and it's pointed out they won't face up to getting rid of them.

Okay, gotcha... yep- good idea. I've made a note of it

Yep, that was exactly my point.

If possible the check should ignore punctuation differences please i.e. the same words with different punctuation should still be flagged up.

Edited by - Whippersnapper. on 27/10/2009 10:13:03
Go to Top of Page

Koli 
"Striving lackadaisically for perfection."

United Kingdom

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  10:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm still not convinced the same or similar review can't be used on more than one film. What did anyone else think on this?

I don't think napper means that reviews would get auto-rejected on that basis, but that there would be a quick way of checking for people too lazy to use Google. It could just come up with a warning "This review has been used for X -- do you still want to submit it?" It would need to just be reviews that have been approved or are pending for other films, as one could be rightly rejected for one film and approved for another. At the moment, people submit duplicates all the time because they 'don't know' (even though they have voted on the originals) and then once they're approved and it's pointed out they won't face up to getting rid of them.

I resemble that remark!
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  13:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BaftenBabe

[quote]
1. Could there be an undo facility on input boxes ... it's really frustrating when suddenly all your stuff just disappears. I know you're limited by the fourum code, but some message boards have such an add-on.

Not sure what you mean here- can you give me an example of what situation you're talking about?

Sure - Say you're typing something to post on the 4UM, or typing something into a PM box, sometimes whatever you've typed to that point just disappears. And there's no undo key to restore the deleted text. This is especially frustrating if you've composed a long-ish reply or message. I suppose we could all get into the habit of writing everything first in notepad or something and then copying it, but we don't!

If you hit the back button or refresh the page, you just lose everything anyway.

I have a feeling that the text disappears because there must be some keyboard combo that highlights the text - like a Control+A function - which I sometimes accidentally hit when I'm typing fast. I could cope with that if there were some way to undo the error and get my text back. It's easy to demo this in a Word document, but I'm not sure how the 4UM code works ... and I know you didn't write it.

It's no biggie and I know you're pressed for time ... but it's on my wishlist

All the new stuff sounds terrific ... and, for what it's worth, I LOVE the double-click function

Go to Top of Page

[matt] 
"Cinemattic."

United Kingdom

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  13:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S10n

The latest release of Opera (released last month) works on anything from 10.3 onwards.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, by "does it work on Opera" I meant the fwfr editing.

quote:
Originally posted by S10n

Alternatively you could try Firefox, the latest version works on 10.4 or later.... although fwfr doesn't like Firefox much, I can't upload avatars with it, I use IE for that.

I always like to have two browsers handy, you never know when a web page is gonna misbehave with a particular browser.

BTW check out this browser comparison if interested.

Yeah I've tried Firefox but that doesn't let me edit either. Ah well, I'll just wait for benj's new site.

Thanks for that browser comparison link. I can;t believe the percentage of people using Internet Explorer when it's so much slower than Safari and others!

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  13:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftenBabe
Say you're typing something to post on the 4UM, or typing something into a PM box, sometimes whatever you've typed to that point just disappears. And there's no undo key to restore the deleted text. This is especially frustrating if you've composed a long-ish reply or message. I suppose we could all get into the habit of writing everything first in notepad or something and then copying it, but we don't!

If you hit the back button or refresh the page, you just lose everything anyway.

I have a feeling that the text disappears because there must be some keyboard combo that highlights the text - like a Control+A function - which I sometimes accidentally hit when I'm typing fast. I could cope with that if there were some way to undo the error and get my text back. It's easy to demo this in a Word document, but I'm not sure how the 4UM code works ... and I know you didn't write it.

It's no biggie and I know you're pressed for time ... but it's on my wishlist

Provided the page hasn't reloaded you could try pressing Control Z multiple times.

The problem here isn't even the fourum code- this is an issue with input boxes in a browser window. Still, the underlying undo functionality of Windows should still be there with the above key combination.
Go to Top of Page

Yukon 
"Co-editor of FWFR book"

Kingston, Canada

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  14:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Benj on 10 years and creating a remarkable website.

Let's pay tribute to Review Number 1. It's historic:
http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?sort=5&dir=2&id=11&Mode=&Rows=1&Start=1&do=

Edited by - Yukon on 27/10/2009 14:32:35
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  18:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been bothering me since this morning: I knew I had something else to tell you about my FWFR blog post!

You old-timers may especially be interested to learn that shortly after the original post, I heard from noncentz, who said:

Wonderful blog! I was alerted through that other lapsed fwiffer, AussieCanuck. I�ve only stayed away because sometimes that�s the only way to cure an addiction. I left on a happy note and FWFR still holds happy memories of brain-twisting cinephilia. Thanks for the mention! And...it's nice to know I haven't been forgotten.

So, I'm honored to be able to pass along happy anniversary wishes and cheers from one of the very greatest fwiffers...IMHO, the greatest.

Edited by - randall on 27/10/2009 18:48:55
Go to Top of Page

duh 
"catpurrs"

See Fourum for details.

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  04:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To Randall: what a nice article on the home page!

To benj: one of the things I adore about you and FWFR is how you have accorded us fwiffers so much appreciation and allowed us to feel a sense of 'ownership' of this extraordinary, wonderful, beautiful thing you've created.
Go to Top of Page

Corduroy Pillow 
"All puns intended"

Canada

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  05:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Four already ten? I remember when Four was only four.

Congratulations, Benj.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  06:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A thought regarding the forthcoming features for film pages Benj; when I saw the red rosettes my first assumption was that they would be to do with the top review for the film in question but now that I see they are to do with the Top 100 reviews I'm a little less enthused given the Top 100 self-perpetuates and is now sadly impossible to get a review there at all. Regardless of that it would be lovely if when viewing your own reviews or browsing others there were a similar rosette (or something) to signify if the review in question is the top review for that film without having to go to the film page to find out. I wouldn't need to be more than the #1, although it could extend to the top 3 reviews per film if the idea appealed.
Go to Top of Page

[matt] 
"Cinemattic."

United Kingdom

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  10:47:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I think that's a great idea of demonic's. It is impossible to get a review in the Top 100 so constantly having a rosette on them would be kind of just rubbing it in! I agree that it would be much more handy and relevant to the film pages if the top reviews for each film had a rosette, as currently the only way of finding out which films you have the top review for is going on every film page. The idea of maybe having rosettes for the top 3 for each film would also make it easy to see when you've been knocked off a top spot etc.

Go to Top of Page

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Guernsey

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  11:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ben. + Ten = Zen. Amen.

Ten, Four, Good Buddies.

Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  13:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm.... there is a resemblance...
Go to Top of Page

AC 
"Returning FWFR Old-Timer"

Canada

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  14:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy decade, Benj, and all of my fondly remembered compatriots in brevity.

As the self-serving name change suggests, I've finally finished the degree that I quit FWFR for a couple of years back. I'm pondering coming back, but I've been gone so long that I am hopelessly out of touch with the content of the site, and any time I submit a review I'd be trawling through thousands of others to make sure I'm not duplicating... I might just lurk, lurk.

Congrats again on the ten years, Benj, and the new design looks stellar. All the best to everyone here - I miss many of you and your fellowship, and am so glad to have been a part of the site's history.

Cheers
AC
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000