The Four Word Film Review Fourum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Return to homepage
Join fwfr View the top reviews Frequently Asked Questions Click for advanced search
 All Forums
 FWFR Related
 Four Word Film Reviews: The Book
 FWFR:The Book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  07:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

quote:
Originally posted by Chris C

Woohoo. I just spotted one of my reviews on the Amazon preview pages.

I shall be ordering my copy this weekend for delivery towards the end of August, along witha bunch of other stuff (for my birthday).

Does anybody know what this book has to say about us?

Funny. The UK site has almost nothing about the book. But the American site's product description talks almost only about us. What is really curious is this:

That excerpt soulded like it was written by a fwfr/fourum regular
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  08:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually it's just taken direct from the Wiki page.

Edit: Holy crap, I've just noticed that the book isn't mentioned there. Time for someone to get on with it! I've just begun an intimate relationship with Trappistes Rochefort 10 and am in no condition to do such a thing at the moment, but if nobody does it I'll do it at some stage.

Edited by - Sean on 23/07/2010 08:09:14
Go to Top of Page

Yukon 
"Co-editor of FWFR book"

Kingston, Canada

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  15:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheese_Ed

quote:
Originally posted by randall

I caught my first editorial miscue. Somebody -- either the titular [huh huh, he said "tit"] editors or a downstream copyeditor -- ruined my review of LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST. Look it up, boys. At least nobody knows it was I who wrote it.

Just found one of mine edited as well:

The Number 23 - went from 'Dumb and Number.' to 'Carrey: Dumb and Number.'

Don't know that either of these changes ruin the review, but they certainly aren't improvements so it is kind of annoying.

Hi Cheese Ed,

Pretty much all of the reviews in the main part of the book were untouched. (Unless the Adams Media editors tweaked one or two).

However, I did change some for the "Name That Film" section only. There were some great reviews that I wanted to include in the quiz, but I had to change to fit the quiz format.
"Dumb and Number" was a bit too general -- the answer could apply to hundreds of films. Adding "Carrey" makes it specific to only one film, so it's a better review for the quiz. (

Another expample is "The Lass Samari." I changed it in the book quiz because it could apply to any movie with a woman and a sword (eg. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon). So in the book, it's "Uma: The Lass Samuri" (answer: Kill Bill Vol 1 or 2.)

If Dumb and Number wasn't in the quiz section then I have no idea why that review was changed.

Hope that clarifies things.

Edited by - Yukon on 23/07/2010 15:21:30
Go to Top of Page

AC 
"Returning FWFR Old-Timer"

Canada

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  15:37:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My review for 'The Alamo' (2004) was changed too, from
New Alamo: ironically forgettable. to
This Alamo ironically forgettable.

Not a bad change, really.
Go to Top of Page

RockGolf 
"1500+ reviews. 1 joke."

Canada

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  16:12:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Does anybody know what this book has to say about us?

There's something entirely bogus sounding about that book. A fifty page paperback with no author, a title designed to match a list of frequent look ups of humor sites, no discernible content, and "free trial membership in the publisher's book club".

And that publisher? Books LLC.

From other references to "what is books LLC", it seems to be a fly-by-night outfit that cribs Wikipedia articles into book form and charges for them.

That's why the "Product description" is a verbatim quote from the FWFR article in Wikipedia.

Edited by - RockGolf on 23/07/2010 16:43:09
Go to Top of Page

AC 
"Returning FWFR Old-Timer"

Canada

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  18:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add to it that we REALLY don't want to be associated with Goatse.CX! Don't Google it and go to the webarchive version of the old site, whatever you do.
Go to Top of Page

Chris C 
"Four words, never backwards."

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  14:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just been looking at the book preview again on Amazon.com and think I've spotted an error.

At the bottom of every second page is a random "guess-the-movie" review. All the following pages have the answer, except that there is nothing on p181 as the answer for "As the Crowe lies". Does this appear in the final version of the book?
Go to Top of Page

rockfsh 
"Laugh, Love, Cheer"

United States

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  16:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazon emailed me that my multiple copies are in the mail via "Super Saver free shipping". I'll be sure to give it an objective review. One is for my waiting room table. Others are gifts.
Go to Top of Page

Yukon 
"Co-editor of FWFR book"

Kingston, Canada

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  18:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've just been looking at the book preview again on Amazon.com and think I've spotted an error.

At the bottom of every second page is a random "guess-the-movie" review. All the following pages have the answer, except that there is nothing on p181 as the answer for "As the Crowe lies". Does this appear in the final version of the book?

Good eye Chris.

I guess if readers want to know the answer, they'll have to wait and buy the sequel. It's an old fashion cliff hanger!
Go to Top of Page

Falken 
"Intestinal Fourtitude."

Ottawa, Canada

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  21:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yukon

Good eye Chris.

I guess if readers want to know the answer, they'll have to wait and buy the sequel. It's an old fashion cliff hanger!

I had suspected that this was going to be the first of a four volume series...
Go to Top of Page

Sludge 
"Charlie Don't Serf!"

United States

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  01:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got mine today. I will cross off "Uma" and then autograph it.
Go to Top of Page

Improper Username 
"inappropriately amused"

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  07:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:
Originally posted by Cheese_Ed

quote:
Originally posted by randall

I caught my first editorial miscue. Somebody -- either the titular [huh huh, he said "tit"] editors or a downstream copyeditor -- ruined my review of LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST. Look it up, boys. At least nobody knows it was I who wrote it.

Just found one of mine edited as well:

The Number 23 - went from 'Dumb and Number.' to 'Carrey: Dumb and Number.'

Don't know that either of these changes ruin the review, but they certainly aren't improvements so it is kind of annoying.

I can explain this one at least. If I recall correctly, 3 word reviews were upped to 4 words so they were in keeping with the book's whole 4 word premise. The intention certainly isn't to try and butcher the reviews (and absolutely isn't some misguided attempt to somehow improve them) merely to minimise reader confusion. Sincere apologies to anyone's reviews that might be affected :(

That a 25% review inflation.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  21:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Improper Username

quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

I can explain this one at least. If I recall correctly, 3 word reviews were upped to 4 words so they were in keeping with the book's whole 4 word premise. The intention certainly isn't to try and butcher the reviews (and absolutely isn't some misguided attempt to somehow improve them) merely to minimise reader confusion. Sincere apologies to anyone's reviews that might be affected :(

That a 25% review inflation.

Um... I'm no math genius, but wouldn't that be a 33% increase?

Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  13:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My review is up on Associated Content by Yahoo!

Go to Top of Page

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Little Rock

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  16:43:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yukon

quote:

Good eye Chris.

Then you should have put "Sly's vertically challenged." - a literal cliffhanger answer.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000