The Four Word Film Review Fourum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Return to homepage
Join fwfr View the top reviews Frequently Asked Questions Click for advanced search
 All Forums
 FWFR Related
 Site Maintenance
 Duplicate Reviews
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 75

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 15/09/2004 :  17:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:
Originally posted by Emily Desmond

Here's another fun suggestion. "FWFR FUN WITH EMILY ". I'd love if I knew who voted for my reviews. Any way that could happen? lemmycaution just told me he voted for my "Mama Mia, Daddy Satan!," but other than revealing that you've voted for something to someone, it would be great if when the vote appears, the person who voted for it also appears.

EM :)

It would be nice, but once again we're getting back towards who votes and who doesn't territory. Before, when stats were available to see how many votes a particular user had cast, it started to get a little witchhunty here in the fourum. I realise you wouldn't be able to tell to the same extent, but I can still see people going "Why doesn't X vote for any of my reviews?". I don't want anyone to feel pressured into voting.

And I actually think this would be even more risky than knowing in general who votes. You might look favourably on X because he votes, and unfavourably on Y because she doesn't, but it would be much more personal if it was X voted on mine, Y didn't. Would also lead to a high risk of you vote for me, I'll vote for you. It would be really interesting though!

Go to Top of Page

Montgomery 
"F**k!"

USA

Posted - 15/09/2004 :  17:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It would be nice, but once again we're getting back towards who votes and who doesn't territory. Before, when stats were available to see how many votes a particular user had cast, it started to get a little witchhunty here in the fourum. I realise you wouldn't be able to tell to the same extent, but I can still see people going "Why doesn't X vote for any of my reviews?". I don't want anyone to feel pressured into voting.

I would just like to know who likes my reviews. Like, for example, if I get a review approved and it has a vote right away, I assume (I know what they say about that word) that you, Benj, voted for it.
It's just nice to know. Perhaps some people would compare and get into the whole popularity contest of it. I'm just curious to know who liked it, besides you.

Any way, I understand your trepidation.

Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 15/09/2004 :  18:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After you have spent some time in the fourum, you get to know the inmates fairly well as well as who likes you particular reviews.

Go to Top of Page

Conan The Westy 
"Father, Faithful Friend, Fwiffer"

Posted - 15/09/2004 :  21:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've voted for 19 of your Top 20.
quote:
Originally posted by bife
Would also lead to a high risk of you vote for me, I'll vote for you.

I'm waiting.

Go to Top of Page

Stalean 
"Back...OMG"

United States

Posted - 15/09/2004 :  21:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:
Originally posted by Emily Desmond

Here's another fun suggestion. "FWFR FUN WITH EMILY ". I'd love if I knew who voted for my reviews. Any way that could happen? lemmycaution just told me he voted for my "Mama Mia, Daddy Satan!," but other than revealing that you've voted for something to someone, it would be great if when the vote appears, the person who voted for it also appears.

And I actually think this would be even more risky than knowing in general who votes. You might look favourably on X because he votes, and unfavourably on Y because she doesn't, but it would be much more personal if it was X voted on mine, Y didn't. Would also lead to a high risk of you vote for me, I'll vote for you. It would be really interesting though!

I don't know, bife, we vote for each other (and sometimes not) on CoolCamels, but maybe it would be different if your "babies" weren't getting votes.

Edited by - Stalean on 15/09/2004 21:43:33
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 15/09/2004 :  23:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emily, here is another thread for your perusal, you've got a lot of catch-up reading to do! This one is on the subject of plagiarism etc, and when taking inspiration from someone else's review is OK and when it isn't.

Plagiarism, Inspiration and Accidental Duplication

BTW, if you want to quote someone else's comment in your reply, the way to do it is to click the "reply with quote" button at the top of the post, it's the one with a piece of paper with an arrow on it. That way it is clear what is your comment and what is someone else's comment. Then you write your comment at the bottom in the message window. And, if you only want to use part of their post in your reply, you just delete the bit you don't want.

Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 16/09/2004 :  05:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be a huge mistake (as well as horribly bulky) to see who voted for one's reviews, and I'm saying this as someone who would look quite good on that basis.

Bear in mind that you can order the film pages chronologically. You don't need to know the dates in order to know which came first.

I know how you feel about that later review, Emily, but as has been said, snappy reviews are often quite popular, including with me. (Nevertheless, I will now go and check that I have voted on your version.) You should think of it as an edit - I say that because it is my justification for this.

Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 16/09/2004 :  05:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

Nevertheless, I will now go and check that I have voted on your version.

Yup, I had. The spellings are also different, which does make a difference, I think, in that I prefer thefoxboy's one.

Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Posted - 16/09/2004 :  06:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Emily,
It is so strange to have an Oracle as a newbie in the fourum
When my review was posted I was wrapped, thinking this is going to be a big one.

I then went to the page to see what the best rating review for the movie was, to my shock, I saw yours.

I usually read all reviews for a movie before writing one to avoid duplication. I can honesty say that I did not visit the page first.

In saying that, I probably still would have posted it.
As Salopian pointed out is is a lot shorter and different spelling.

My spelling was inspired by ABBA's musical stage show.

I have always avoided putting my "Mamma Mia" in Sean's FYC Treasure Hunt cause I felt a little uneasy about the review.

Just for the record....I have voted for your "Momma Mia, Daddy Satan!"

Edited by - thefoxboy on 16/09/2004 07:05:48
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 16/09/2004 :  11:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For Bubba Ho-tep, nikolajb has "JFK, Elvis fight mummy", while Randall has "Elvis, JFK fight mummy!"

Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 16/09/2004 :  11:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

Presumably this is a typo.

The accent here is on the wrong letter.

These are still as they were.

Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 16/09/2004 :  11:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talking of 'mamma mia' here is a review that is related, although I don't quite get it. Note the actor 'Baby X' - there was obviously a baby (as the son, presumably) that they did not bother to record the name of! 'Weissmuller' is spelt wrong, by the way, Benj/lemmy.

Go to Top of Page

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 16/09/2004 :  11:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Conan the Ringnut

I've voted for 19 of your Top 20.
quote:
Would also lead to a high risk of you vote for me, I'll vote for you.

I'm waiting.

Okay, confession time - I've only voted for 10 of your top 20. About 5 I didn't understand and 5 I just didn't vote for

Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 16/09/2004 :  13:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad move, you've offended Vote Santa!

Go to Top of Page

Conan The Westy 
"Father, Faithful Friend, Fwiffer"

Posted - 16/09/2004 :  14:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not at all. I was talking to Emily and assumed bife was too.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 75 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000