The Four Word Film Review Fourum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Return to homepage
Join fwfr View the top reviews Frequently Asked Questions Click for advanced search
 All Forums
 FWFR Related
 Site Features
 Accolade discussion and suggestions!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 21/06/2007 :  02:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

Maybe accolades need a report button in the same way reviews have - that way they can easily be brought to the attention with similar tags - similar to another accolade, requires updating etc.?

Obviously, I hate this idea like Sally hates Smithee, but nonetheless, each of us must persevere...
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 21/06/2007 :  08:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall

quote:

Maybe accolades need a report button in the same way reviews have - that way they can easily be brought to the attention with similar tags - similar to another accolade, requires updating etc.?

Obviously, I hate this idea like Sally hates Smithee, but nonetheless, each of us must persevere...

Please don't call me Sally.

I don't hate Alan Smithee, and would be happy to have the feature here if it were within appropriate bounds. I just think that 'he' should not be in the rankings, especially as many real reviewers are not in one of the rankings. I also think that a duplicate under 'his' name does not magically stop being a duplicate. Finally, I think Smitheeing an offensive review because one is ashamed of it is in itself shameful. That's all.

Edited by - SixFourian on 21/06/2007 09:24:27
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 21/06/2007 :  09:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that someone once asked Benj if Alan Smithee could be eliminated from the ranking on the site - meaning, that his reviews wouldn't be in the top 500 and neither would he be listed in the top reviewers ranks. If that could happen, then I think there would be less problems with people disowning a review.

I'm no computer programmer, but perhaps Benj could put Alan Smithee into a separate category with his own link on the top and remove him from everything else?
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 21/06/2007 :  10:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

I think that someone once asked Benj if Alan Smithee could be eliminated from the ranking on the site - meaning, that his reviews wouldn't be in the top 500 and neither would he be listed in the top reviewers ranks. If that could happen, then I think there would be less problems with people disowning a review.

I'm no computer programmer, but perhaps Benj could put Alan Smithee into a separate category with his own link on the top and remove him from everything else?

Actually, I don't think that 'he' should be removed from the top 500 reviews. That is about individual reviews and 'his' are as meaningful as anyone else's. What is not meaningful is treating those as a set, so what I object to is the 'reviewer' Alan Smithee being listed anywhere. I therefore wouldn't want 'him' in a special category either, although that is arguably preferable.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 21/06/2007 :  21:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

quote:

quote:

Please don't call me Sally.

Sure, but I had no idea it offended, since I've been using that nickname for about two years now.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 22/06/2007 :  09:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sure, but I had no idea it offended, since I've been using that nickname for about two years now.

No problem. I have mentioned it in the Fourum several times, but not necessarily to you.
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

United States

Posted - 23/07/2007 :  17:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Downtown

What was the name of that hemophiliac boy in the early 80s that became a lightning rod for paranoia about AIDS when parents tried to block him from going to school? I remember he had a brief appearance as another patient in the TV movie about himself.

Sorry to answer this a month later, but I just came across it when looking for something else.

His name was Ryan White, and Lukas Haas played him in the movie. Ryan and I knew people in common, though we didn't know each other. I attended his calling when he died. My friend Michael was diagnosed with AIDS around the same time that the controversy was swirling about Ryan. Michael was so frustrated by the feeling that it took a "straight hemophiliac white high school boy" to make persons with AIDS acceptable, mostly because it highlighted the distinction people were making at the time between people who "asked for it" and people who were assumed to have been exposed medically. He often said "NO ONE asked for this!!!"

Go to Top of Page

Josh the cat 
"ice wouldn't melt, you'd think ....."

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  08:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am pleased to announce that Josh the cat's Documentary Dilemma has finally been achieved. Randall has had a few reviews pending for a while and the key one has been approved and the accolade is his.

Congratulations Randall, I will honour my promise and shall be over in the very near future to read some of your reviews, I'm sure I will find a bundle to vote on.

Josh the cat
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 14/03/2023 :  22:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

Actually, I don't think that 'he' should be removed from the top 500 reviews. That is about individual reviews and 'his' are as meaningful as anyone else's. What is not meaningful is treating those as a set, so what I object to is the 'reviewer' Alan Smithee being listed anywhere. I therefore wouldn't want 'him' in a special category either, although that is arguably preferable.

I think I can talk about this now. I despise Alan Smithee. Its just a place where people can throw away their unwanted reviews, like a trash can. For years I sat underneath him in the ranks. One day I told myself that I was going to get out from underneath him. It took me 2 years. I didnt want to say anything since people could spit out reviews left and right and give it to him to spite me. It actually helped me write better reviews. It helped me become a better fwiffer. I had a goal to achieve. I have now surpassed Alan and MelissaS. Just on the heels of Cheese Ed now. So yeah, I have a thing against Alan, but he has made me become a better reviewer because of it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000