The Four Word Film Review Fourum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Return to homepage
Join fwfr View the top reviews Frequently Asked Questions Click for advanced search
 All Forums
 FWFR Related
 Site Features
 Accolades
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  20:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the start of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? count?
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  21:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

Does the start of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? count?

I say no, because they weren't filming "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" They were filming an animated short, which is the profession of the characters in the movie.

Think of it like "Home Improvement," which is a TV show about a guy that has a TV show. But within that fictional world, it's real to them. Same with WFRR? That's a movie about characters that make movies, but I don't think it ever admits that it, too, is a movie.
Go to Top of Page

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  23:40:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Long time ago now, but if I remember right didn'tWestworld have a scene where the set falls down and shows them to be in a studio?

Or did I just make that up?
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  00:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bife

Long time ago now, but if I remember right didn'tWestworld have a scene where the set falls down and shows them to be in a studio?

Or did I just make that up?

I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen, maybe it does in the Dutch version.

It does go behind the western scenes, like to the robot repair room and control centre etc.
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  00:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this qualifies but there is that spaceship scene in Life Of Brian.

Edited by - thefoxboy on 06/12/2006 00:33:57
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  01:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bife

It was the most exciting thing I'd witnessed since Halley's Comet collided with the Moon.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  06:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

PS I think the housewife-Greek film that CL referenced stars Pauline Collins as Shirley Valentine.

Yes! Thanks! I believe Shirley talks to the audience many times in that movie.

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 06/12/2006 07:06:20
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  07:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

Woody Allen in the film queue in Annie Hall.

I think Woody used this a whole lot. Certainly Annie Hall, but also in Sleeper. I recall vividly that he talks to the camera several times in that movie. There may be other Woody Allen films where he does this - maybe also in Bananas?

The Marx Brother's movies had this - Groucho spoke to the audience in almost every one of their movies, if not all of them.

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 06/12/2006 07:09:25
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  07:04:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

Well, I think you'll have enough with just the traditional definition, actually.

Traditional?

By that I mean talking directly to the audience - without the device of a voice over, and not just showing that the movie is a movie. This is why I don't think Purple Rose of Cairo would be right since while the characters inside the internal movie get out and get involved in the external movie, they don't (if I recall correctly) go from the external movie out to the audience. See what I mean?

On that same premise, you can't add The French Lieutenant's Woman because although it has a movie within a movie, no one actually speaks to the audience in either. In fact, I think the movie within a movie genre should be a whole separate accolade.

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 06/12/2006 07:30:08
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  07:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your adding High Fidelity reminded me that - if I recall correctly - John Cusack also speaks to the audience in Grosse Pointe Blank, and maybe also in Serendipity? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  14:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't believe that nobody - not even myself - has mentioned Spaceballs yet.

"Merchandising! Where the real money from the movie is made!"
Go to Top of Page

MM0rkeleb 
"Better than HBO."

Palo Alto, CA

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  17:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

I have got a rudimentary accolade here and would like as many films for it as possible. If there are enough, I'll get rid of the fourth-wall ones, which are a separate category really. I think Blazing Saddles applies, but I haven't really seen it. What about Monty Pythin and the Holy Grail? Are those police supposed to have stumbled on the filming, or is the time in history supposed to have changed suddenly(/been modern all along)?

I don't know about the police, but there is a joke in the narration of Monty Python and the Holy Grail about Sir Robin being renamed 'Sir Not-Appearing-in-this-Picture,' the Intermission joke, and the knights being saved by a timely animator's heart attack.

On a similar note, The Meaning of Life would also fit, what with the bit in the middle where the film is suspended to play a game of 'Find the Fish!'
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  11:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benj, I often get this message when updating accolades:

Invalid image file format- must be jpg or gif

The problem is that this occurs when I haven't edited the trophy. It means that I have to abandon whatever other changes I have made. Can anything be done about it?

Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  12:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, I had that happen a couple of times. If the file is a jpg but it ends in .jpeg then the site won't accept it. All you have to do is change the ending to .jpg and that seems to do the trick.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  14:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

You know, I had that happen a couple of times. If the file is a jpg but it ends in .jpeg then the site won't accept it. All you have to do is change the ending to .jpg and that seems to do the trick.

But it happens when the image has been added on a previous occasion - I'll save it and re-add it (except when I'm at an Internet cafe) if need be, but it seems a bit complicated just to retain the same photo!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000